This session will work on your overall fitness and running endurance. This session
will also look at mid race speed changing, acceleration from a moving start and
deceleration to a slower pace.
Target energy system
You will be training your aerobic energy system.
Session warm up
Complete your own warm up to get ready for the session. Include some exercises
to slowly raise your heart rate appropriate for your level of fitness and the
session you're about to follow. Include some dynamic movement to gently increase
the range of body movement. Use this time to think about the session, to prepare
your mind for exercise and set your intention.
Mark yourself out a distance which takes about 3 minutes to jog/easy run.
- Complete one rep quite slowly, perhaps just quicker than the 3 minutes;
- Without any rest, do the next rep quickly, at your 5K pace;
- No rest - go straight into a third rep at the slower pace;
- Take a rest of about the same time as your last slower rep.
Repeat the pattern above. Aim to continue for around 40 minutes.
Session cool down
Gently bring your heart rate back down. If you wish, include some gentle stretching.
During the cool down take a few moments to think about how the session went.
- Did you enjoy it?
- Did you learn anything interesting about your running?
- Does the slower running feel like a recovery or not really?