- That this club be called “The Manchester YMCA Harriers’ Club” hereafter referred to as “the Club” and shall be affiliated to England Athletics or the appropriate Governing Body.
- Membership of the Club shall be open to any person, regardless of race, age, gender, sexual orientation, religious preference or ability who is a paid-up member of the Manchester YMCA.
- That the object of this club be to further the development of running, at all levels, providing opportunities for recreation and competition.
- That the officers of the club shall consist of an Honorary President, Secretary, Treasurer and other such officers as it shall think fit. All officers shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting of the Club, from, and by, the members of the Club. All officers are elected for a period of one year, but may be re-elected to the same office or another office the following year.
- The affairs of the Club shall be controlled by a General Committee and comprising the officers of the Club and eight other members elected from, and by, the members of the Club. The President and Treasurer of the Manchester YMCA and the Chair and Deputy Chair of the Board of Trustees and the Company Secretary shall be ex officio members of the committee.
- The General Committee shall meet at agreed intervals and not less than four times per year.
The duties of the General Committee shall be:
- To control the affairs of the Club on behalf of the members.
- To keep accurate accounts of the finances of the Club through the Treasurer. These should be available for reasonable inspection by members and should be audited annually as part of the Manchester YMCA consolidated accounts as a designated fund. The Club shall maintain a bank account and the following Officers shall be authorised to sign Club cheques: two from the Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary.
- To co-opt additional members of the Committee as the Committee feels is necessary. Co-opted members shall not be entitled to vote at the Committee.
- To make decisions on the basis of a simple majority vote. In the case of equal votes, the Chairperson shall be entitled to an additional casting vote.
- To report regularly to the Board of Trustees of the Manchester YMCA and to comply with the policies and procedures of the Manchester YMCA as notified from time to time.
Exclusion. Any member may be excluded from the membership of the Club for good and sufficient reason by resolution of the majority of the Committee present and voting at a General Committee at which not less than a half of the total number of members of the General Committee shall be present. Such member shall have 7 clear days’ notice sent to him or her of the General Committee meeting and the member shall be entitled to attend the meeting and be heard in defence but shall not be entitled to be present at the voting or take part in the proceedings otherwise than as the Committee shall permit.
General Meetings. The Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall be held not later than the end of September each year. 21 clear days’ written notice shall be given to Members of the AGM by posting a notice on the Club’s notice board. Members must advise the Secretary in writing of any business to be moved at the AGM at least 14 days before a meeting. The Secretary shall give notice of the agenda for the meeting to Members not less than 7 days before the meeting. The business of the AGM shall be to:
- Confirm the minutes of the previous AGM and any General Meetings held since the last AGM.
- Receive the accounts for the year from the Treasurer.
- Receive the annual report of the Committee from the Secretary.
- Elect the Officers of the Club, i.e. President, Secretary, Treasurer and other General Committee members including the Captain, according to the Standing orders determined by the General Committee.
- Review subscription rates for the Club and agree them for the forthcoming year.
- Transact such other business received in writing by the Secretary from members 14 days prior to the meeting and included on the agenda.
- Special General Meetings may be convened by the General Committee or on receipt by the Secretary of a request in writing from not less than 15 members of the Club. At least 21 days’ notice of the meeting shall be given.
- Nomination of candidates for the election of Officers shall be made in writing to the Secretary at a time determined by the General committee, being at least 14 days in advance of the AGM date. Nominations can only be made by members and must be seconded by another member.
- At all General Meetings the chair will be taken by the President or, in their absence, by a deputy appointed by the Club or by members attending the meeting.
- Decisions (other than the election of Officers as defined above) made at a General Meeting shall be by a simple majority of votes from those members attending the meeting. In the event of equal votes, the Chairperson shall be entitled to an additional casting vote.
- A quorum for a General Meeting shall be 6 members and 2 Officers of the club.
- Each member of the Club shall be entitled to one vote at General Meetings.
- Any dispute around the interpretation or application of these rules shall be settled by the General Committee on the basis of a simple majority vote. In the case of equal votes, the Chairperson shall be entitled to an additional casting vote. *
- Alterations to the Constitution. Any proposed alterations to the Club Constitution may only be considered at an Annual or Special General Meeting convened with the required written notice of the proposal. Any alteration or amendment must be proposed by a member of the Club and seconded by another member. Such alterations shall be passed if supported by not less than two-thirds of those members present at the meeting, assuming that a quorum has been achieved.
If, at any General Meeting of the Club, a resolution be passed calling for the dissolution of the Club, the Secretary shall immediately convene a Special General Meeting of the Club, to be held not less than one month thereafter to discuss and vote on the resolution.
If, at that Special General Meeting the resolution is carried by at least two-thirds of the Full Members present at the meeting, the General Committee shall thereupon refer the resolution to the Manchester YMCA Board of Trustees for any final decision on dissolution. Following any dissolution, the Board of Trustees shall proceed to realise the assets of the Club, and discharge all debts and liabilities of the Club.
After discharging all debts and liabilities of the Club, the remaining assets shall not be paid or distributed amongst the Full Members of the Club, but shall be applied to the charitable purposes of the Manchester YMCA.
- All the foregoing rules are subject to the approval and confirmation by the Manchester YMCA Board of Trustees and no alterations or additions shall be made to these rules without its consent.
Constitution adopted by Harriers' Club 2nd May 2007
Approved by Manchester YMCA Board of Trustees on 26th June 2008
NB: Rule 15 added following member approval at the 2017 AGM. Approval and confirmation of the addition by the Manchester YMCA Board of Trustees is pending.