The Manchester YMCA Harriers were established in 1882. We are one of the oldest running clubs in the UK, if not the world!
We are based at the Y Club in Manchester city centre.
Our club has been associated with YMCA Manchester throughout its history. YMCA Manchester proudly provide training and education and health and wellbeing programmes to young people and communities across Manchester and Salford.
The Club is affiliated to England Athletics.
Races and events
We have various club championships, which cover cross-country, fell, road and track disciplines - there are plenty of trophies and medals to be won!
Beyond that, our members take part in all manner of races, both at home and abroad. Take a look at our events calendar to see where our members will be running!
The Club has previously organised a number of races, including the Manchester YMCA 10K and 20K road races and the Blackleach Country Park 5-mile Trail Race.
We hold speedwork sessions every Tuesday evening and group runs every Thursday evening. We also hold marathon training sessions on Sunday mornings in the build up to the spring marathon season.
Our speedwork sessions take place on Tuesday evenings at 6:45pm at the Manchester Regional Arena.
Speedwork sessions are meant to be hard; you will need to push yourself, but you'll also get plenty of encouragement and support from everyone! We know that some people are faster than others, so our speed sessions are designed to be accessible to all abilities.
Our group runs take place every Thursday, starting at the Y Club at 6:30pm. After a quick warm up, the Captains will gather the group together for Club Notices, after which we’ll split into sub-groups before we head off on the run.
Each group will run at a different pace and will be led by a club member, so there should always be a pace group suited to you. The number of groups is flexible depending on the number of runners down on any particular night, but we’ll generally have the following four pace groups:
- Group 1: 7.00 min / mile (4.20 min / km) +/- 30 secs
- Group 2: 7.30 min / mile (4.40 min / km) +/- 30 secs
- Group 3: 8.30 min / mile (5.20 min / km) +/- 30 secs
- Group 4: 9.30 min / mile (5.50 min / km) +/- 30 secs
If you’re not sure which group to go in on your first visit, we'd advise starting off in Group 4 and try to work your way up to the next one!
Our routes are generally 6 - 8 miles (10 - 13km).
The Manchester YMCA Harriers Committee is responsible for the day-to-day running of the club and making decisions that will affect the future of the club.
Everybody on the committee is a volunteer who gives their time freely for the benefit of the club and its members.
Our club rules can be summarised as follows:
- Anybody is welcome to be a member of our club, regardless of race, age, gender, sexual orientation, religious preference or ability;
- Our club exists to further the development of running, at all levels, and to provide opportunities for recreation and competition; and
- Our club operates fairly, transparently and on a democratic basis.
The full club rules can be viewed below:
Welfare and safeguarding policy
Our welfare and safeguarding policy describes:-
- The Club's values and principles around welfare and safeguarding;
- The responsibilities of the Club and its members with regard to welfare and safeguarding issues;
- How you should report a welfare or safeguarding issue; and
- The process the Club will follow in handling a welfare or safeguarding issue.
The Club's welfare and safeguarding policy can be viewed below: